This holiday season instead of just toasting to friends and family’s good health, why not give it to them? Here are 20 gift ideas to encourage fitness and nutrition — a great way to show your loved ones how much you really care!
1. TONING SHOES – Toning shoes seem to be all the rage this year. Toning shoes use curved or collapsible heels to force the body into working a little harder for each step, making for a subtle workout all day long. And while they don’t compare to a good gym session, your day spent walking to and fro for meetings and errands won’t be for naught!
2. Interactive Videogame Workouts – Brings 21st century technology to your workout with videogames aimed at children’s fitness (or teens or adults for that matter.) While gathering around the screen to dance or golf might not seem quite as healthy as the real thing, hey, it beats watching TV.
3. Window Herb Garden - Have a bourgeoning chef in the family? With a window herb garden, they can grow and pluck fresh, hyper-local ingredients. He or she won’t be the only one that benefits; some fresh pesto pasta could soon be your reward.
4. Pedometer – This simple little gift is a must for the avid runner, and good motivation for those who hardly ever get up from their desk or off the couch.
5. Personal Mixtape For Workouts – Strapped for cash? Thoughtful, personal and unique, making a personal mixtape comprised of all your favorite workout songs is a creative gift your loved one is sure to use.
6. Gym Membership - Right after Christmas comes New Year’s … and that means New Year’s resolutions … which means a gym membership could be just the thing.
7. Kitchenware – Sometimes the perfect gift is staring you right in the face. Old kitchenware can be a drag on someone who fashions themselves a cook. A brand new cast iron pan, new blender or juicer, or even a cute apron. Home cooking almost always beats eating out as far as your health is concerned.
8. Fitness DVD - Maybe your loved one doesn’t like to workout in front of others. Maybe he just doesn’t feel the gym is worth it. Maybe she just doesn’t have enough time to drive there and back. Today, there is a fitness DVD for everyone. If you want to focus just on the abs, or are looking for a complete body sculpting workout, there’s a DVD for that.
9. Sports Gear – Every family has a sports nut. Basketball, football, hockey, soccer, biking, running — the options for a great gift are endless…
10. Pull-Up Bar – A pull-up bar is simple and can be installed in any doorway — a great way to strengthen the arms while just hanging around the house. Likely you know someone who’d love this.
11. Boxing Bag – A boxing bag isn’t just for boxers — it can relieve stress and let out anger, all while being a great cardiovascular workout. This gift, while a bit unexpected, is perfect for that angsty teen or stressed parent.
12. Dance/Group Fitness Classes - Dance and group fitness classes, like zumba, salsa or spinning, can be seriously fun, and a great workout.
13. Air Purifier – Pet dander, dust mites and many other home air pollutants can cause allergies and discomfort. An air purifier can make the home more breathable and comfortable. A great gift for your allergy-ridden loved one.
14. Outdoor Adventure - Sometimes the perfect gift is simple. If you and your loved one feel the pressure each work week, or are just plain in need of some time away from the grind, an outdoor adventure is a great way to relieve stress, get some exercise and reconnect with nature.
15. Golf Course Package - Yes, golf season is over, but it doesn’t mean you can’t plan ahead. If you know someone who’s a major golf enthusiast, gifting some course time at your local club is a great way to support the sport they love, and because of all that walking, their health as well. Looking for something a bit simpler? New clubs or golf balls should do the trick, too.
16. Hula Hoop - Hula hooping is making a comeback. It’s fun, affordable and a really good workout.
17. Homemade Granola Bars - Making homemade granola bars is a fun activity for you and an even better gift for your loved one. Mix in all their favorite ingredients — figs, dried cherries, raisins, almonds, dried apricots, chocolate — and not only will they have delicious treats, they’ll feel as if you did it all for them.
18. Water Filter - This simple gift, while not glamorous, makes a big impact. Whether connected to your tap, in a pitcher, designed for your own earth-friendly water bottle, or even attached to the shower head, it’s the type of gift someone will use every day.
19. Yoga Gear - If you have a loved one that’s yoga-crazed or just starting out, the right gear — from mat to pants — will be a great gift and an encouraging gesture that will go far beyond the holiday season.
20. Yoga Membership - Yoga is a wonderful strengthening exercise for both body and mind. If you know someone who’s been flirting with the idea of joining a studio, give that little shove of encouragement.