Before you even pop the question I’m sure you’ve been thinking if your even ready and if this is the right decision to make. To help you make the decision to propose and tie the knot, here’s a list that you can use to evaluate if your even ready to make this big step.
Simple demographics, such as your age when you get married, your level of education and your income can have a surprising impact on the success of your marriage. For example, studies suggest you should be at least 26 years old when you get married (Source: National Survey of Family Growth, 2002, conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics).
As well, staying in school seems to have an effect on whether or not you get married at all — 64 percent of college graduates are married compared to 48 percent of those with high school diplomas (Source: Pew Research Center). Finally, if your and your prospective mate’s combined income is at least $50,000, you have a 68 percent chance of reaching your 15th wedding anniversary, whereas if your salary falls into a lower income bracket, the likelihood that youâ€™ll ever marry is lower (Source: Pew Research Center).
Made for marriage: Youâ€™re headed toward your 30s (or youâ€™re already into them), you have at least one degree under your belt and you and your girlfriend earn a combined minimum of $50,000 per year.
Your attachment style
Your attachment style characterizes the way you behave and feel in relationships, and stems largely from early childhood experiences with your parents. Approximately 65 percent of children can be classified as having a secure attachment style, with the other 35 percent classifiable as having one of the other three insecure attachment styles, which are known as anxious-preoccupied, dismissive-avoidant and fearful-avoidant (Source: Prior & Glasser, 2006).
Adults with secure attachment styles tend to choose partners with secure attachment styles and go on to have lasting relationships. Individuals with insecure attachment styles, alternatively, are drawn toward mates with insecure attachment styles and have higher chances of divorcing (Source: Clarke-Stewart & Brentano, 2006).
Made for marriage: As a child, you had your emotional needs met and were loved consistently. As an adult, your romantic relationships have not been plagued by a pattern of jealousy, continual fear that your partner will leave you or the belief that youâ€™re better off without a relationship.
Personal values, such as your reasons for getting hitched in the first place and your views on the purpose of marriage, also exert a significant influence on whether youâ€™re marriage material. As well, whether or not you live with your girlfriend before you tie the knot also affects the prospective success of a marriage. Even though itâ€™s now common for most couples to do so, living together before youâ€™re engaged is not necessarily a good test of whether your marriage will work. In fact, it may even be detrimental — as cohabitating actually results in a 6 percent drop in the likelihood that youâ€™ll stay married for more than a decade (Source: National Survey of Family Growth, 2002, conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics).
That means that if you favor the more conservative route of waiting until youâ€™re engaged to move in, chances are youâ€™ll still be living under the same roof 10 years later. To decide if marriage is right for you, itâ€™s also important to examine what the institution means to you in the first place. According to research, 87 percent of married people say that marriage is about a lifelong commitment and 81 percent believe its about companionship, whereas only 59 percent say itâ€™s about children and a mere 31 percent site financial stability as a good reason to walk down the aisle (Source: Pew Research Center). Whatâ€™s more, the quality of the friendship you have with your bride-to-be might account for up to 70 percent of the satisfaction both of you will feel with the sex, romance and passion in your marriage (Source: John Gottman, 1999).
Made for marriage: Consider it a sign that marriage may be in the cards if youâ€™re ready for a serious commitment, youâ€™ve met someone with whom you have a deep sense of friendship and youâ€™re not rushing into the relationship by shacking up too early.