Sunscreen is supposed to keep you from getting burned, but one man said his did the exact opposite. he was tending to the outdoor grill at his lakeside home last month when he suddenly found himself ablaze. Honestly after I helped him put the fire out I would have laughed hysterically for the next year. Click below to find out more.
Brett Sigworth said he was tending to the outdoor grill at his lakeside home in Stow, Mass., last month when he suddenly found himself ablaze. Moments before, he told Bostonâ€™s WBZ-TV, he used Banana Boatâ€™s Sport Performance spray-on sunscreen.
â€œI sprayed on the spray-on sunscreen and then rubbed it on for a few seconds,â€ Sigworth said. â€œI walked over to my grill, took one of the holders to move some of the charcoal briquettes around and all of a sudden it went up my arm.â€
The fire, he said, spread to wherever he used the sunscreen â€” on his chest, ear and back.
â€œI went into complete panic mode and screamed,â€ Sigworth told ABC News. â€œIâ€™ve never experienced pain like that in my life.â€
He said his girlfriend and friends, who were with him at the time, helped put out the fire.
He reportedly suffered second-degree burns. Video of his injuries following the accident show his skin became pink.
Dan Dillard, CEO of the Burn Prevention Network, told ABC News that the sunscreen itself didnâ€™t ignite the fire, rather droplets of the aerosol spray that werenâ€™t yet absorbed may have still been in the air.