Manny Pacquiao announced when his next two fight will be earlier this month, with one of them being in April. We still don’t have many details of the who, where, when but what we are finding out is that he plans on fighting outside the United States. Why you ask? For two reasons.
Report after the jump…
According to BKP:
A. Pacquiao’s chief adviser Mike Koncz confirmed on Sunday that the Filipino will return to the ring in April and the fight – against an as yet unnamed opponent – will not be held in the United States.
“We’re not interested in the US for this fight,” Koncz told The Philippine Star.
Pacquiao received a mandatory suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission following his defeat to Marquez, meaning he can’t fight in their territory until March 9, or 90 days after his loss, and isn’t allowed to spar until Feb 7, 60 days after the knockout.
The 34-year-old can box by the second or third week of April and train seven to eight weeks prior to the contest if he fights outside the US.
B. Pacquiao’s lawyer Franklin Gacal said that a bout in Asia would be less heavily taxed than one in the US.
“It’s for tax purposes,” Gacal told the Manila Bulletin.
The fight is likely to be scheduled for Apr 13 or Apr 20 as a warm-up for a fifth contest with Marquez – with Koncz confirming that Singapore, Macau or Abu Dhabi could host. Previous reports also mentioned Dubai as a possible venue.