While it has been reported heavily that Steve Nash will be forced into medical retirement, he has maintained that he will return to the Lakers and finish out his contract. Though he’s determined to do so, it doesn’t look good for the aging point guard.
In what he’s described as a “horrible 18 months for me,” Steve Nash offered no clarity on when that will all end.
The 39-year-old point guard revealed he had hoped earlier this week that he would return when the Lakers visited the Sacramento Kings. But Nash said “calmer heads prevailed” and opted a more conservative approach to ensure he wouldn’t “risk this kind of yo-yo season.”
Nash also hoped to join Kobe Bryant in his return from an Achilles injury on Sunday against the Raptors, but persistent nerve issues in his back make that seem less likely as well.
“I might not be able to play anymore,” Nash said. “I might have to yo-yo it. I might be able to play the rest of the way. Honestly right now, I’m trying to see if I can play the rest of the way.”
“The bottom line is we don’t know how much I can sustain,” Nash said. “There’s a lot of stuff going on back there. I’ve worked really hard and I made a lot of improvement and I’m gaining confidence I can play again. We’ll see how realistic that is to survive the demands of the game instead of a progressive schedule.”