Before safety Nate Allen become a Raider this off season, he was arrested as a member of the Eagles in February for indecent exposure in Fort Myers, Fla., and spent 4 1/2 hours in a holding cell until it became obvious he wasn’t guilty of such a crime. More than five months later, Allen received an apology for the incident and the officers involved received the appropriate punishment.


According to the Southwest Florida News-Press, a detective and sergeant were suspended for failing to properly investigate a crime, one officer received written counseling for failing to make a visual check and her actions during Allen’s detainment and a fourth officer resigned before discipline was announced.

“I’ve been here for 30 years,” Fort Myers police Chief Doug Baker said. “And I don’t remember it happening in the past.”

In a disposition, Baker also showed his appreciation for Allen’s patience throughout the ordeal.

“To Mr. Allen and his family, whose lives were disrupted by this incident, Chief Baker extends his deepest and most sincere apology,” it read.

Allen was arrested after a 16-year-old girl called 911 claiming there was a man in a truck next to her performing a lewd act. However, the girl said the man was “mixed race,” in his 40s or 50s with a gray/white goatee, a description that doesn’t fit Allen at all. An investigation cleared Allen of any wrongdoing, as the Raiders safety was at Red Lobster at the time of the incident and video footage showed a different truck near where the alleged crime happened.

The punishments were partly due to the fact it took so long to determine Allen was not in his 40s or 50s, while a misinterpretation of a Florida statute regarding lewd and lascivious arrest also played a factor.

Allen, who had a notice of intent to sue sent on his behalf to the city of Fort Myers and the Police Department, was cooperative throughout the last five months.

“He conducted himself well,” Baker said of Allen.

Entering his first season in Oakland, Allen is coming off one of his best years as a pro after tallying 62 tackles and four interceptions for the Eagles. The six-year veteran was signed in March to play free safety alongside Charles Woodson.