Posted by Sabrina B.Â @gametimegirl
The Houston Texans have agreed to terms on a contract with retired quarterback Jake Delhomme, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
Houston worked out both Delhomme and veteran Jeff Garcia on Tuesday following the season-ending injury to Matt Leinart, a league source told Schefter earlier.
Garcia worked out for the team following starter Matt Schaub’s season-ending foot injury last week but Houston decided to sign Kellen Clemens instead.
Rookie T.J. Yates, a fifth-round draft pick out of North Carolina, will start Sunday’s game against Atlanta (7-4). Clemens will back him up.
Leinart was making his first start since 2009 in place of Schaub, who broke a bone in his right foot in the Texans’ 37-9 win in Tampa Bay on Nov. 13.
Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Monday that Leinart will have surgery within the next week, and Schaub is due to have surgery on Wednesday to repair a Lisfranc injury.
Kubiak acknowledged that Houston would try out other quarterbacks this week and hinted that 42-year-old Brett Favre, who retired in January after 20 seasons, could be considered.
“I don’t think you rule out anybody,” Kubiak said when asked about Favre specifically. “There are a lot of names being mentioned. We’ve got to continue to work through the process.
“I’m not going to rule out anybody, nor confirm anybody.”
Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, said late Monday the Texans have not contacted him about Favre.