The deal was considered “dead” twice and now it’s resurrected yet again. The Boston Celtics were adamant about getting a first round pick in exchange for Doc Rivers while the Clippers felt like they were asking for too much. Chris Paul was reportedly upset about the deal not getting done and now talks have revived yet again and are much closer to being sealed. Read more after the jump.
via Y! Sports
Talks started again on Sunday when the Clippers offered the Celtics a first-round pick to freeRivers from his contract with Boston, sources said.
Clearly, Rivers’ telling the Clippers he no longer had interest in the job – and the Celtics setting a Friday deadline for a deal – were negotiating postures to leverage the Clippers back with a better offer.
Rivers had gone into the weekend planning to decide his future with the Celtics, and sources said he had been leaning strongly toward returning next season to fulfill the three years and $21 million left on his contract. With the Celtics moving into a rebuilding phase, several sources told Yahoo! Sports that Boston management preferred draft-pick compensation over paying for an elite coach.
Sources confirmed on Sunday that the Clippers will sign Rivers to a three-year, $21 million contract. They will send a first-round pick as compensation for the Boston Celtics, who have agreed to release the coach from the three years, $21 million he has remaining on his deal with the club.
Sources close to the process told ESPN.com’s Marc Stein that the Clippers believe that the deal with Rivers will clinch Chris Paul’s signature on a new five-year max contract in July. Paul becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1.